Volunteer at RDA Raymond Terrace & Lower Hunter
Our Volunteers have an important and responsible job and without them our Centre would not function. Our Volunteers are integral to the smooth running of Management, Riding Programs, fundraising and the maintenance of our Centre.
Horse and medical/disability knowledge are not essential. Our weekly programs rely heavily on volunteers as two to three volunteers are needed per rider to lead the horse and act as side walkers during the riding programs.
Volunteers are needed to assist with:
- Riding Activities including:
- Grooming, saddling horses, and caring for horses before and after riding sessions
- Mounting riders
- Leading the Horses
- Side walking beside the horse with mounted rider
- Returning all equipment used in riding sessions to storage areas
- Returning horses to paddocks
All training is given, so experience with horses, while advantageous, is not a requirement for this volunteer role. However, a willingness to work closely with horses is necessary.
We currently run the following programs:
- Monday General Riding Day Program
- Monday Dressage Night Program
- Tuesday General Riding Day Program
- Friday ASH Riding Night Program
- Fortnightly Saturday Riding Day Program
Each day’s Program Co-ordinator looks after much of the non-riding aspects of that day’s sessions. Co-ordinators maintain records, handle money and receipting, liaise with the Program Coach, ensuring that information gets to volunteers, riders, parents, carers and/or schools (via teachers) who accompany riders. However, Program Co-ordinators can be asked to “jump-in” if required to help with horse related activities.
- Handyman jobs
- General cleaning
- Washing horse rugs
- Looking after our Sensory Garden
Volunteers for grounds maintenance may choose to assist at various times in consultation with our Caretaker. If you are interested in volunteering please click here to complete the volunteer interest form
“Many Hands Make Light Work” is our motto at RDA. There are many areas you can choose from to assist with fundraising whether you have a couple of hours, half a day or a whole day available. or maybe nominating for Fundraising Co-ordinator at our Annual General Meeting in March to co-ordinate all the fundraising supports.
Areas of Fundraising you could assist us with include:
- Fundraising BBQ’s
- Selling Raffle Tickets
- Stalls at various events
- Run a Fundraising Event
- Visit businesses to give information pack
- Visit businesses to acquire prize donations
- Assist with Marketing
- Assist with Public Relations
- Assist with Donation Boxes
- Assist with catering for onsite rider’s events
Centre Positions and Management Committee
Our Centre positions and Centre Management Committee positions are elected from our members at our Annual General Meeting every year in March.
Volunteers can volunteer at our Centre from thirteen years of age (there are certain requirements for 13 to 18 year old volunteers due to age). All adult volunteers (i.e. over 18 years of age) are legally required to have a Working with Children Check completed before starting to volunteer at RDA. This process is simple and free of charge.
To apply for your Working with Children Check please visit the following website: